Season 3, Episode 15 of the Expat Cast
The days are getting shorter, the weather is getting colder, and we’re all getting lonelier.
The normal November blues are made that much more challenging when you’re facing them in a foreign country. But fret not! You’re not alone, even if you are lonely. Every Expat has experienced a season of loneliness, and, dare I say, we’ll all face them again at some point.
This week’s guest is fellow Expat and life coach Gabriela Encina, who brings us stories from her own life as well as the experiences of her clients. Gabriela talks us through some of the tips that have helped her and her clients as they navigate Expat loneliness and strive to feel more connected in their new home country.
Click here to listen to the podcast.
GABRIELA’S TIPS FÜR EXPAT EINSAMKEIT
- Find the things you love to do and do them. Then, you will meet people who like those things as well and you’ll have something in common to build a friendship off of.
- Present yourself the way you are and don’t try to be someone you’re not. The kind of people you want to be friends with will accept you as you are.
- If you make language-related mistakes when socializing in a foreign language, don’t sweat it. The people who want to relate to you will find a way to understand you anyway.
- Be open. Just because you don’t click with someone immediately doesn’t mean you can’t develop something. Give people a second or even third chance to get to know them better.
- Remember: The low points don’t last forever! They end, and high points come.
- Share your feelings, whether that’s in a journal, with your loved ones back home, or with friends or potential friends where you’re living now.
- Learn what you want and where your priorities are. Not everyone needs a bunch of friends to be happy. Maybe you are happier to be home with a book than you are juggling multiple friend groups.
Wenn du mit Expat Einsamkeit konfrontiert bist, melde dich! Du bist nicht alleine!
Willst du deine 30-Minuten kostenlose Beratung? Book Here!
Check the testimonials of clients living the life abroad they want!
By your side,